The movie Dark Skies is best described as a roller coaster ride that you have been on ten times already, but the entire track is only ten feet long. Sounds exciting, doesn’t it? I’ll start off with the positives…. Some of the effects were interesting, at times very similar to Paranormal Activity but with Aliens. The acting wasn’t terrible and at times you could actually feel emotionally attached to some of the characters. At this point, I will mention SPOILER ALERT! You have been warned. J.K. Simmons plays a character who is introduced later on in the movie. He seems to be the man with all the answers when it comes to little gray men.
Before I get to the negative parts, for the record I wanted to enjoy this movie 100%. The actual story was just your generic:
1) Crazy/weird things begin to a normal family.
2) One of the two adults living in said house begins to witness weird things first hand.
3) Adult “A” confronts adult “B” about what they believe is happening. Adult “B” tells adult “A” “you’re crazy” and denial, denial, denial….. Let me touch on this a little bit before I continue. Again, SPOILER. They both come downstairs in the middle of the night and see most of their kitchen piled to the ceilling. There are also weird markings on the ceilling. If my wife came to me and said “I think its aliens” you know what? She could have said it was a nine foot rabbit and I still would have AGREED and got the hell out of there. My point being is why are the couples always arguing over the fact that one can’t believe the other?
4) After a helping of not so normal signs, Adult “B” is finally a believer in E.T.
5) Everything goes to hell in a hand bag with an obvious plot twist
6) Roll credits…..
I would also like to point out the only real creepy part in the movie, which is the scene in the commercial where you can make out the shadow of an alien. Thank you commercials *clap clap* I’m sure tons of people would like to see his movie and they will, but take my advice. Just wait for it to come out on DVD. Sadly I believe this movie could have been great if it just had a better story rather than using the generic alien movie formula. Half way through watching this movie you will be begging for a face hugger or two.
Review submitted by Roger Trottier